Saturday, November 26, 2011

Christmas came early!


So we wanted to get a dog for the kids for Christmas.  However, once we found Joey...we just couldn't wait and didn't want him to stay with his owners...we wanted him here!  So the night before Thanksgiving felt a lot like the night before Christmas.  We tricked the kids and said we were buying some dog stuff for a local shelter.  They helped us find a doggie bed and food and stuff.  Then that night I drove out to Maricopa to get Joey.  Joey is a cockapoo.  This means he is a mix between a Poodle and a Cocker Spaniel.  He doesn't shed and will grow to be about 25lbs.  I am a little worried about the size myself...but had my rambunctious boys in mind when making a decision.  I brought him home and we were getting him settled.  Around 11:30 pm Weston woke up to go to the bathroom and saw Joey.  So we ended up getting all the kids up and it really did feel like Christmas morning.  They couldn't believe that we had "tricked them!"  Weston was just crazy excited.  Things are going good now we are on day 3.  I am shocked a bit about potty training...it isn't going good in my mind.  I also didn't realize I would be getting up so early...cause he is.  Oh well, I did it for my kids...so I guess I can make the sacrifice for our new addition.
Other than that though he is fun and crazy when we want him to be.  He also just loves to cuddle.  Right now he is sleeping quietly at my feet.  Aubrey keeps saying "I can't believe WE have a DOG!"  I couldn't agree more!!!

Funny little thing that happened.  We are teaching Joey to pee on the paper.  This means if he is in the house...and has to pee, we have some newspapers laid out on the tile for a accident.  Anyway, I was dosing off here on the couch after Thanksgiving dinner and I awoke to find my Spencer "peeing on the paper!"   I was in such shock I think I scared Spencer to death.  I kept just saying..."What just happened!!!"  Spencer I guess was playing like he was a dog and he later told me that he was just being a good dog and peeing on the paper like Joey!!!  haha





4 comments:

Tina said...

Oh so cute, cant wait to meet him... and we will dog sit anytime!! I LOVE dogs and so wish we could have one! SO FUN!!

Kim said...

Looks like Spencer is going to teach by example! Puppies are a lot of work, they are babies and you have to treat them as such. They are like children really, when housebreaking just remember to be consistant like you were when you were training your kids.

Also, sometimes what is cute as a puppy (or child) isn't so cute as an adult. Train them when they are young and they become adult dogs that everyone loves.

Housebreaking doesn't happen in a day or two or three. Watch him constantly and if he has an accident on the floor roll up a newspaper and hit yourself on the head while repeating...I should have been watching the puppy!

Good luck and congratulations on the newest family member!

Katie said...

Spencer may get potty trained sooner than expected!! Super cute and funny!

Shelly and Ron Huber said...

Ohhhhh what a cute puppy!!! Can't wait to meet him! Good luck with the "pee training!" Can't believe Spencer did that! haha Cute kid!